Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Life back in America.....

Well, it's now April 24th and I didn't think I would make another post but I am. It's been quite an adjustment back to reality. I didn't have any idea it would be this way. One would think that being back home would be just the best thing in the whole world. In some ways it is - to see and touch my family and friends is the best feeling in the world. That is the best part of being home - being surrounded with your loved ones. Adjusting to a totally different way of life - not so much.

We can't live here like we lived in Vietnam and we can't live there like we live here. But, it would sure be nice if the two could come togther and share some of their positive attractions.

We have so much in America that we don't need. And there are many of us who continue to think we need more and more. And, there are alot of people in this nation who think they are entitled to take anything they want at anyone's expense. We don't love unconditionally - we judge people both inside and out. We hold grudges. We are free - we are surrounded by beauty - and we take alot of it for granted.

People have asked me why I chose to volunteer in another country and it has taken a while to find that answer but I think I have it. The underpriveleged adults and children in America have opportunity. There is the welfare system, there are non profits everywhere that are constantly helping those in need, there is schooling that is open to anyone who is willing to take the step into the front door of a classroom. The government takes care of their people here. Where I was in Tam Ky Vietnam - there are not those opportunities. Their government does not take care of them. There are not food banks or Goodwills in their town. All they have is each other and most of them are in the same boat - they rely on each other to support their needs. They do rely on volunteers coming to their country to help them. But there are not enough available to be able to help them create the kinds of lives we have in America, or the opportunities that every single person in America has.

But they are happy people, they are kind, if they are able to take care of their children they do a wonderful job, they live off the land, they work hard, they live with so little but yet have so much in my eyes.

I will be returning in September 2011. I need to follow the children and see how they grow. I want to be able to sponsor a child to get an education and have the opportunity to better him or her self. It only takes a small amount of money to sponsor a student for university for a year - less than we spend for a couple of months worth of groceries in America.

I don't expect anyone to have my passion for the people of Vietnam. I just expect everyone to have a passion of some sort in which you help others, whether it be here at home or afar, or both! It puts a whole new twist on your life and how you view the world. I like to think it made me a better person - you'll have to ask those around me to answer that question cuz I only know what's in my heart.

And I miss the food sooooo much - truly the best food I have ever eaten in my life - and the healthiest and the freshest and.......it's been a bit hard to get back into eating here - taste is good but it just seems so heavy to me. Wierd!!

So I think this will be my last posting. I am still adjusting to life at home with so many wonderful memories in my mind and heart. Thank you to all of you who followed this blog and thank you to all of you that have asked so many questions and expressed an interest in what I did. Thank you for allowing me to show you my pictures and re-live my many moments in Tam Ky Vietnam. I hope you all have the opportunity to do something like this in your lives - you'll want to do it over and over and over. The time is right now - you can make it happen if you want to.

I will be forever grateful to my husband for helping to make this happen - I couldn't have done it without him and his support and financial help. Thank you Dickster - I love you - you do have a kind heart! And I know you'll go with me someday on one of my adventures and I'm proud of you for that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment