Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 1, 2010






It is Thursday night, April 1st. I have flown from Danang to Ho Chi Minh City. I have treated myself to a beautiful hotel - with great air conditioning, a little wine, a little more Vietnamese food, and a comfy bed to stay in for a few hours - I will arrive at the airport at 4 am for the long leg of my flight home.

The emotions are mixed. There is excitement at seeing all the people I love and have missed so much. There are tears as I look at the pictures of the children that have touched my heart. There are both tears and laughter as I look at pictures of and think about all the fun times with the other volunteers - sharing time with the children, creating lesson plans, enjoying our free time, eating Mrs. Hanh's wonderful food, and sharing somethig so new for all of us. Now we go our seperate ways but still remain connected in a way.

I have so many things that I would love to share but I do understand that you have not been there with me. As with every situation, it's often that 'you just have to be there' to get the full effect. Please don't be afraid to tell me to put a sock in it - I could babble, I could get sappy, I could......who knows what's going to happen. Bare with me - be patient with me - and know how much I love you all and how happy I am to see you, touch you, and be back home.

MEMORIES.......

It’s the end of the road and the time left is ticking away on the clock.
I pack up my bags and hide away the memories and trinkets that are coming with me.
How do I tell you about the last month of life in another’s world?
How do I walk back into my world with so much to share and remember?

The children – we laugh, we play, we love. I come into their lives for just a moment and take with me a lifetime of laughs, smiles and hugs. I give them experiences they have never had and I see the world through their eyes – I laugh, and I sometimes cry.

The mothers – selfless women who give their lives to children other than their own. They give hugs, kisses, reprimands, food, shelter and security – the only security they have – the only people who are with them always.

The people – genuine, curious, hard working, friendly. Beautiful dark eyes and beautiful smiles. They want to speak English – they want to learn. But not all have that opportunity – they are poor, they are sheltered, they don’t know the world.

The villages – full of women selling their produce, fruit, and fish. Calling for you to come to them and buy their fresh foods. From early morning until late at night – receiving either nothing or a mere pittance for a days work.

The fields of rice – they go on forever. They are forever green. They are forever full of hardworking men and women providing food for their country – leading their water buffalo down the paths of the fields so as to make their walk easier, their fields more beautiful.

The traditions – never wavering from their values, their beliefs, their love and respect of family. Holding tight while the world around them constantly changes – always being true to themselves and their family before them who are counting on them to live right.

The food – made with love and care by women who are proud and who should be proud. Always fresh, always pure, always beautifully presented with a smile and a little prodding to eat just a little bit more, just a little bit more.

The opportunity to imbed myself in their world for a month of my life – a gift from God, a gift from my family, the gift of a lifetime. Thank you Vietnam for letting me live in your world and love your people. I am forever in love with you. I will return because you are in my heart and in my soul.

3 comments:

  1. what a beautiful post! we're also looking to volunteer there this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki,

    Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us! Have safe travels back to your family and loved ones in Oregon! You have had an experience that most of us will never have or comprehend its' magnitude. You will have many jewels in your crown!!

    With respect and honor to you.....Helen Custer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words touch my heart Vicky. I guess 'Give and You Shall Receive' does ring true.

    I love looking at that cheeky little cutie from 1st picture. By the way, the jade bracelet has a very nice shade. Ms Hanh certainly has gone out of her way sourcing that. It will develop further and look even better as time goes by.

    Thanking you for a wonderful blog. Looks like we all need a 'Vicky' in our lives. God bless and have a great life Vicky.

    ReplyDelete