Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 25, 2010

The End of Indpendence Day Week - 3/25, 26

Well we survived Independence Day and life is pretty much back to normal here! We actually worked all day today – kind of a shock to the system.

The orphanage was eventful this morning – it was immunization day!! The Dr. showed up with an assistant and all 13 babies were immunized. Now, we’re not sure what they were immunized for but we were glad to see that each baby had their own needle which were promptly destroyed after the injection. Some cried – some didn’t. For the most part it went well. We followed that up with dress up day – my last one. They were darling as usual. And Buddha Tuan – I think I have created a monster just before I leave – he has grown pretty attached and loves to be toted around and have all my attention. He is very good when I do my Son massage – he seems to understand that is part of my job – but after that he wants nothing to do with anyone else. Even the older kids pick him up and bring him to me!! I do manage to hold babies and play with other children at the same time – he’s just attached to my knees or hip. Only 4 more mornings at the orphanage – my mornings won’t be the same – it will be lonely having my cup of coffee after Dickster has gone off to work. I guess Luke will just need to spend more time with Nanny as she goes through children withdrawals!! (ARE YOU READING THIS ADAM AND AMY?!?!?!?!?)

The afternoon was spent at the Disabled Children’s Hospital – only one more day left there. We had 5 children today and they all loved their massage. Tin, who had the same haircut as I have, has now been buzzed so we don’t share the same hairstyle anymore. He looks so grown up. We had some good smile and picture time today. Lots of coughs and sneezes going on today so the bug must be going around. Guess I need to start wearing my mask!!

It rained here this afternoon really hard!!! People must carry rain ponchos in their motorbike seats because they sure appeared in a hurry. Do I need to tell you how good it feels to have some major wind and rain?!?!?!? I am now the happiest person in Tam Ky! Everybody else is cold. I’m going to write that it’s the hottest place on the planet more often because it seems to rain after I write that comment.

49 days ago today, an elderly lady who lived next door to our house died. Tradition of the Buddhist religion is that on specific days after a death (3rd day, 7th day, etc. up to the 365th day) , the family gathers for a memorial to the deceased family member. She was the grandmother in the home. Their storefront business is selling phones and minutes. Right out on the sidewalk they set up a round table full of food and candles. 2 monks were present along with family members who traveled from Ho Chi Minh City to be here for the memorial. There were bells rung, drums played, songs sung, family members bowed to the candles and makeshift alter on the table. Then they started a fire in a round metal container and burned some of her clothes and some flowers – that signifies something for her in the afterlife. They also burn fake money at these memorials so that their deceased family member has a plentiful life in the afterlife. (Sidebar to my children – I’d like the real thing sent up to me please!!!) Following this ceremony and meal, the whole family goes to the cemetery in a big bus they have rented.

The folks here are not wealthy by any means but they spare nothing to honor their family members upon death, marriages, births, etc. There are always celebrations and festivities going on for all the important times within the family and extended family – which usually all live together.

An interesting fact – pregnant women ride the motorbikes side saddle. I’m OK with geckos now – every morning I see one or two scurry across the rooms downstairs when I head down to make my coffee. They hide out well and move fast!! A few new Aussie words – sick/crook; sharks/noah’s arks; picture/fleas and itch; shave/dig in the grave. They never seem to end.
We had our weekly meeting this afternoon – my last one. Had a few suggestions for future volunteers – we have an evaluation that we have to fill out and e-mail back. Will do that when I get home.

Class was good at Home of Affection tonight. The 8 to 11 year olds are a little squirrely but very cute. They love writing on the board so our lesson centered around that and they loved it. They also love those word search puzzles so I created one around the vowels we learned and they were so quiet for 20 minutes – also fed them Ritz Crackers so that kept them busy! Only one more class with each of my classes at HOA. Will do fun stuff next week!!

Tin came by and we went to get a bite to eat around 8 pm – Bun Sao –it’s rice paper wrapped around greens, bean sprouts, cucumber and a pancake type of round thing. It comes with a very spicy sauce that you dip your roll into. A new taste treat – was awesome. We have yet to have the same lunch or dinner meal this month at the GVN house! I am sooooo spoiled! If I can’t bring a baby home Dickster, can I at least bring Ms. Hanh and her family home so we can eat great food?!?!?

This morning (Friday) at the orphanage we arrived to a room full of students and adults visiting the children. They brought lots of candy to the children – just what they need!!! We let them play with the children about a half hour then we took over with OUR kids! A gentleman was actually holding Tuan Buddha and wouldn’t give him to me when he held his arms out. I just disappeared so they could have their moment but I don’t think Tuan was as happy with him as with me!!! Today was spa day also so I painted a lot of toes and fingernails. I talked to them about the colors they should wear with their chosen colors and they just smiled and nodded – don’t think it got through. I just know they are not going to stick to their color palette for the next two weeks until they are mani’ed and ped’ed again!! Buddha and two of his friends had to have an extra bath this a.m. cuz they got into some major water and drenched themselves – the mothers were none to happy! And Bubbha was not happy to be taken away from his water playground!!!

A wonderful lunch of chicken rice soup – will be a recipe I make! Of course that was followed by MANGO and grapefruit which I also love here!!!

So now it’s the weekend! I am off to Hoi An – will take a cooking class, a motorbike tour, and a tour of the ancient city of Hoi An. I’m going to fit another pedicure in there too cuz they are looking bad!! Will include pictures in the next blog! Have a fabulous weekend and never be afraid to say I love you or show someone that you care!

No comments:

Post a Comment